11.12.2013 La rédaction
Each year, the Cojep, an organization formed by some Alsace-based Turks, distributes a number of awards. In 2013, the awards were distributed as follows:
- Award of Honor: Murtaza Yetis, Turkish MP from the city of Adiyaman
- Fight Against Racism and Discrimination Award: Tankut Taskin Soykan, OSCE / ODIHR
- Personality Award: Anissa MEZİTİ UNICEF Ambassador
- Political Personality Award: Senator Bariza Khiari
- Citizenship Award: Louis Mohamed Seye National, Secretary of Egalité Citoyenne
- Living Together Award: Virginia Martin, President of Think Tank Different
- Civil Society Award: Marwan MUHAMMED, CCIF Spokesman
- Human Right Award: Nils MUIZNIEKS, Human Rights Commissioner at Council of Europe
- Art and Culture Award: Rachad Ahmed Farah, Ambassador of Djibouti
The organization, which is close to Erdogan’s AKP, does not hesitate to protest whenever certain personalities of Turkish origin support Taksim protesters:
“This attitude offends most Turkish associations in the city, which overwhelmingly support AKP and Recep Erdogan, and represent a significant part of Strasbourg voters” (Press release dated 5 June 2013)
The organization is also unhappy when politicians insist on acknowledging the Armenian genocide. And therefore rants about it: “The Socialist Party is very much influenced by the speech of the Armenian diaspora in our country.”
COJEP officials enjoy taking selfies with their contemporary hero: Erdogan.
This post is also available in Français .